Back in 2008, as I watched the run-up to the election, I recall being disappointed when Charles Krauthammer, speaking on Fox News, refused to identify Obama as a Socialist.
He would not even use the term.
1. Charles Krauthammer: “Obama Has Never Been a Mystery” Where was the “Mystery” every other conservative was clearly able to see through him)
2. Charles Krauthammer is typically held in the highest regard by some media personalities on the right.... Krauthammer revealed to Bret Baier of Fox News that neither he nor George Will knew a thing about “the real” Barack Obama back in 2008 prior to the latter’s election to the presidency.
3. Let this sink in: Krauthammer and George Will , veteran media commentators—self-avowed “conservative” commentators—admit, and think nothing of admitting, that up until his election, they just couldn’t figure out what kind of president Obama promised to be. This is amazing.
Among those amazed by Krauthammer’s and Will’s professed ignorance was Rush Limbaugh.
4. On his nationally syndicated radio show, on October 28, Limbaugh remarked: “I am convinced that all conservatives know a statist and a big-government redistributionist when they see one, especially people like Krauthammer and Will.” In disbelief, he added: “It doesn’t compute with me that they didn’t know [who Obama really was].”.... Limbaugh understood him all too well.
5. At the time of the election of 2008, there was no conceivable justification for anyone, much less seasoned right-leaning commentators, to have had any doubts whatsoever about Obama.
a. His relationships with an array of radicals from the political cesspool of Chicago, radicals like convicted terrorist Bill Ayers, were well established.
b. ... two memoirs....revealed for all with eyes to realize it that Obama’s had been a lifelong preoccupation with racial identity—and racial politics.
c. ...Obama resisted efforts to provide legal protection for those infants who had survived botched abortions,...
d. ... on record for lamenting the fact that the United States Constitution makes no allowances for wealth redistribution—or what Obama and his ilk call “positive liberty.”
e. ... months before Obama was elected to the Oval Office, the name of Jeremiah Wright became known to the nation.Wright is an impassioned advocate of “Black Liberation Theology” and a close friend of Louis Farrakhan and the late Muammar Gaddafi.
f. For over 20 years Obama sat in the pews of Wright’s church, a church in which the congregation was routinely subjected to sermons chock full of racially-charged diatribes.... in which he memorably remarks that “white folks’ greed runs a world in need”—a line that Obama would approvingly draw upon himself.
6. And yet, we are expected to believe, Wright had no influence over the development of Obama’s worldview. Apparently, Krauthammer and Will did believe this.
7. ... if Obama had been white and had a track record of allying himself with neo-Nazis or Klansmen, or even had he been a little too close to “isolationists” like, say, Pat Buchanan or Ron Paul, Krauthammer and Will would’ve wasted no time to judge him for what he was .